Saturday, May 04, 2013

Can We Be Frank & Can We Pretend We're Friends?



Okay, I've been thinking about writing this for the last month and a half but something stops me as soon as I start because, well, it's awkward and I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression about how amazing Essential Oils are. I really, really, really don't want what I'm about to write about to overshadow what I know about Young Living Essential Oils, which is that they're legit, people and they will work for you if you're consistent and educated on their uses. So let's just be frank, can we? Let's pretend that you and I are friends and you know in your heart of hearts that I wouldn't sell you some crap that doesn't work and try to suck you into something shady, because truly, that's who I am. I would never do that to the people that I love the most in this world. I would REALLY appreciate it if you'll read through this entire post and not just turn it off when you see something you think might be a "trick." I promise you I am not trying to trick anyone into anything and I'm not one to be easily snowed. I swear to you, I'm trying to help you and open your eyes to a path that you might have never thought of going down. Two roads diverged, folks, and here you are. Let me tell you, this one ain't traveled often. We know what Robert Frost would tell you to do... Alright here we go...

Young Living is a multi-level marketing company. There, if you didn't know, now you do. I have that same feeling inside my gut when I so much as write it. I have had the same experiences with people that try to get you to buy-in to some product that you don't really want and then they chase you all over God's green earth to get you to buy more. I get it. I promise you I do. I would even go so far as to say that there are Young Living members that do that exact thing to get people to try the oils. Even my own mother about drove me CRAZY over a MLM company she was involved in. She tried to get me to purchase product from her when she knew we didn't have the money to do it because she was so focused on her MLM goals. I love my mama, but ugh, that sucked. Personally, I believe this "sales tactic" is ineffective and I think it's not the right way to really reach people if the product is good. The fact is that most people have tuned you out before they even try the product because you're pushing them. This is EXACTLY why the Lemon Droppers were created. It's a breath of fresh air in the muti-level world. You still with me? Okay, good, it's like a bandaid, just rip it off. Let's move on. 

Now, the good news is that YL products are the bomb shizzle, and by that, I mean they'll rock your face off, and by that, I mean they're great. They work. They transform lives. They can help us with aches, pains, annoyances, health, wellness and pretty much everything you could imagine. Truly. You name it, there's an oil for that. The best part? There's no catch! You're not going to feel good temporarily at the expense of another problem popping up down the road (i.e. taking 5 Advil a day causing you to need a liver transplant in 10 years). Young Living Essential Oils are 100% pure, natural, therapeutic grade oils. They're good for you, dude, so get into it! So why would anyone go and ruin that perfectly good product by trying to "sell" it to someone? WHY, GOD, WHY? Oh, hey, sorry, forgot you were here for a minute. I'm obviously passionate about my hatred of multi-level marketers. 

We lemon droppers? We get that. We have set out on a mission to spread the EO love without force-feeding them to our friends and family. You want to know the best part about this plan? It works. Yea, buddy. It's not rocket science. It's not even hard. In fact, I'd venture to say it's dang easy. Does it take time? Yep. Are you gonna need to be dedicated to it? Yep. Will you have someone helping you? Guaranteed. Will it pay off in the end? YES, bigger than you can imagine, I would bet. I can tell you that it's so much bigger than I imagined it would be. Now, in order to show you how much bigger it is than I thought, I'm going to actually give you my numbers. Does this sound fair? I am going to be honest about what I've done and the kind of money that I'm making by being a Lemon Dropper and building a business with this team of people. Okay? Okay. I'm nervous all of the sudden...bandaid, bandaid, bandaid. Let 'er rip...

FEBRUARY
I started with Young Living in February. I got my kit (which I paid $150 for 11 oils and have run a train on those things) and had 2 friends that said they wanted to try a few oils too and they signed up right behind me with my number. I still wasn't sure that this whole oils business was for me as far as the multi-level thing, but I sure was down to get my oils paid for every month, and so, that was my goal. I'll just sign up enough people so that I can have free oils every month. SCORE. Here's what February looked like for me

Total People that signed up to try the oils: 6
Total number of people "under me": 8 (one person that signed up under me signed up 2 people)
Check total for February: $389.82

There were 8 people in my "team" at the end of what would become my first month in the business (though I still wasn't on board for calling it that yet). What did I do to get them? I just posted a couple of pictures of my oils on my facebook so that my friends could see what I was up to and I told the truth about what I thought about them. What did I not do? chase people down. I never once sent an email to someone who didn't ask me for information first and that's the God's honest truth. That's not my bag.

MARCH
Totally shocked by the fact that in my first month with almost no work, I was able to get my oils paid for plus some, I decided, "hmmmm, maybe this could work in March too." By this time, my friend, Monique, who has the same vision for what does and does not work in this arena started putting together videos with strategies on how to most effectively earn the most money within the YL payout confines. It's a numbers game and she figured it out. The awesome thing about that? I didn't have to sit and watch the compensation video 800 times to get it. She did it for me and then spelled it out for me so that I could understand it. So, I just continued doing what I was doing, I started to understand the pay structure through YL and I started directing my friends that thought they might be interested in working the business to the same videos. Here's what March looked like:

Total People that signed up to try the oils: 4
Total People that were signed "under me" (this includes the previous month as well, it just keeps building): 28
Check total for March: $640.94

Unknowingly, in March, I laid a lot of foundation. I build a new Brand alongside Monique and Kelli for the Lemon Droppers, I decided 100% I was going to do this thing and I answered A LOT of emails...a lot. Obviously, they didn't all sign up in March, though. Which is cool. I don't chase people and I don't pressure people. So let's move onto April. The month we just finished. See? I've only been in it for 3 months.

APRIL
So April was the first full month that I was in this thing for the long haul and I was now not only looking to get my oils paid for, I was prepared to make money. A lot of it. The more the better. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it, dang it! It was a BIG month. What did I do differently? Not a thing. I answered emails, I posted what I'm up to and what I think the oils could do for people, I made some marketing materials that I believe are relevant and not cheesy, typical, multi-level stuff, I posted pictures and I was honest about what these oils were doing for my family. That's the key. I am being so real about them. I'm not going to compromise that about this adventure.
Total People that signed up to try the oils: 26
Total People that were signed "under me" (this includes the previous months as well, it just keeps building): 97
Check total for April: $3,171.20

I'm sorry, what?!?!?! Yea, that just happened. You know what I did? The same thing I did the months before. I've noticed my numbers are doubling (plus some) every month and you know what? I'm not the only one. This is something that Monique has done in her own structure and that the people that are working this with me are doing as well. We work together to double our number every month and help each other reach the next milestone so that we can earn at a higher level. I put a lot of hours into it this month. I spent a lot of time answering questions and helping the people that are learning this structure so that they can do the same for the people that come after them.

Look, I'm not telling you that we're all going to be making $50,000 a month by the summer, but an extra $3,000 in our vacation fund sure isn't the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I think the way we're training our people to train their people is the right way and working so closely as a team to help replicate our success is working. It's not every man for himself; we are growing WILDY as a group. We work together, we talk goals, we talk out ideas, we see what works and what doesn't. Most of all we don't spend all of our time putting together boring classes and meetings to sell people into this business. The product does it for us. In our experience (especially my team, I've noticed), they fall into doing the business end of Young Living because people come to them. People want an alternative for pain relief. They've tried everything and this WORKS! Why wouldn't they tell their friends about it? Why wouldn't they get their oils for free? Give them your number to sign up for that kit. It's awesome.

I would LOVE to work with you guys if you're thinking this might be cool to try and you think this is the right move for you or your family. I will put absolutely EVERYTHING out there for you guys to see. I hope you can learn from what I'm doing (though, come on, I don't have it all figured out and I'm certainly not expert). Come and watch a few of the videos that we've made to simplify the learning curve that comes with this business structure. Come see a few of the materials we've made that will help your friends and family see how essential oils can help them. You'll be absolutely AMAZED by what you can do. I just know it. The Lemon Droppers are different. We're not looking to have you purchase a kit and then move on. We want you around for, well, ever! Ask me any questions you have. Let's see what we can do together.

The bottom line of this thing is that this is a total God thing in my life. I feel the pull from something "else." I have prayed about it. I even fasted about it, which I realize might sound totally strange to you guys, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this as God would want me to. I want to make sure this is all Him and not all me. It's so unexpected. I could never have predicted this. I am SO happy and SO filled up about where this is leading. I know what kind of change this could bring for my family. I see Christian school and college for my girls. I see summer camp at Kanakuk for them. I see mission trips as a family. I see things that I never thought were possible becoming a reality. I see the blessings in our family turning into blessings for others. I just want to share it.

Love to you all, truly. My cup runneth over.

14 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you, Lindsay! You did an awesome job on all the graphic designs. My interest is piqued by some of the oils, so I'm going to talk to my husband about maybe giving them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Jenny. Thanks for the compliment. Really really really happy to hear you might give them a try!! Prepare to be hooked! ;)

      Delete
  2. Hey Lindsay,
    I've been interested in this since you first mentioned it. I know you said you've spent ALOT of time answering emails and I don't want to ask you to do the same for me. I'd like to try the oils and would love to even begin working with the company. But I'm a full time teacher and don't know how well I could "sell" a product. Like you, it makes me uncomfortable. And to be honest, I'm just exhausted at the end of the day after giving my all to 165 students all day!
    If you have a minute, could you give me some more information? Or direct me to where I could find out more? I've never even looked into something like this before so I'm at a loss! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. It's Giuseppina. (I didn't realize my name wouldn't show up)

      Delete
    2. hey girl. yea, of course. I'll give you all the info I have! ;) Let me put a few things down in an email for ya. I'm happy to answer questions, it's a part of the process! :)

      Delete
    3. hey girl, what's your email? I sent you a facebook message but can't find your email! :)

      Delete
  3. Avid follower of your Project Life pages...more please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, awesome! Being from the Land of MLM companies (hello, YL is in Utah) I have always been skeptical but this post totally laid it all out there honestly and I think it is so great that you put it all out there. I am so interested in signing up, but I have to convince the husband first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise. I am such a bad friend for not sending you an email back. I just realized it's sitting in my drafts folder. FACEPALM!!! So sorry!!! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have you on my side through this, cuz i just love ya but it's pretty amazing how fast it's moving. It's good stuff!!!

      Delete
  5. Truth people. This girl don't lie and she isn't selling ANYTHING. She has a passionate belief and because she loves you like her bestest friends in the whole world, you can trust her. I know from experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Kim. Ugh, you make my heart full. thank you. i love ya. :)

      Delete
  6. LOVE your blog. This post is great. I just signed up last month. I am a licensed massage therapist and have been so pleased with these products in my business. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if you'll reply to this but if you do, I would be sooo grateful. So my friend is trying to get me into this. I am on the fence. I guess because I don't spend more than $150 on medical all year. I don't like medicine either so oils would make sense but when I just try to keep my kids healthy by eating healthy, we have been really lucky. I am nervous More because of the ER thing. Did you sign up for ER right away? You didn't post that, and so I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! Yes, I did sign up for ER right away because I knew I'd be ordering 100 a month so why not get the cheap shipping and free oils? :)

      Delete