Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Brush Organization

The other day I went through and added my 2013 brush samples to my binder and I posted a picture of it on Instagram. It seemed to generate quite a few "aha" moments so I thought I'd also post it here.

This is the method I use to arrange, file and keep my brush samples so I can more easily remember what I have and then use them for appropriate photos or cards in my Project Life album.

It's super simple (excuse the crappy iPhone pics):


Just a 3-ring binder and page protectors. I simply print out each .jpg sample file onto printer paper and slip them into the page protector. I generally group the brushes together by theme so I can turn to the right section to find something that will complete the layout I'm working on.


Clearly, I have issues with the Ali Edwards brushes. Nary a page makes it into my Project Life book without an AE Brush and a CZ tiny template. I tend to stick with what works!

I hope this will help you get organized and take stock of what you have in your files. We creative types tend to be very visual and I think this system lends itself to that need. If you have a better system, please share in the comments! I'd love to find out what everyone else does.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my josh !! I have had the exact same idea for a while now, and just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Thanks for the reminder, it is going on the to do list right now !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *smacks forehead* why didn't I think of that.

    Thanks for sharing!

    she who doesn't have too many Ali or CZ :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea ! Thank you so much !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am just getting started with the digital Project Life while trying to learn Photoshop Elements, and I've been wondering how to efficiently store things on my computer so that I don't waste a lot of time trying to locate elements. Printing the brush sets out like this is fantastic. I'll look around on your blog, but if you haven't already, can you advise us on electronic storage of digital components for our scrapbooking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lindsay - LOVE this idea...can you tell me how to add them to PSE as brushes? I just usually OPEN the file that I need and make it a layer on the photo...not sure if one is easier than the other...help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Krystyn. Google a tutorial on installing brushes. You just open a blank layer on top of the "slot" where you want to paste your brush, select the brush, size it and click it down. THen you don't have to open the PNG file. You just use the brush sets.

      Lindsay

      Delete
  6. great idea!! thanks for sharing! I also share a love of Ali's brushes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsay you completely inspired me with this post! i had to blog how i keep track of all my tidbits! thanks for the inspiration!
    http://elisaingram.com/project-life-how-i-organize-my-tidbits/

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this idea but am totally new to this digital stuff!! How do you do this for brushes already installed in PSE? Or, is it just for new ones that you buy and have the sample sheets to print? Many thanks in advance for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! I am just starting to dabble in digital scrapping. I want to start adding in some brushes. Are there certain sets that you use all the time? I have a LONG wish list at Designer Digitals and am having a hard time deciding which ones to start out with. I will mainly be using them for Project Life and scrapping for my nieces.

    ReplyDelete