Wednesday, April 11, 2012

QR Code Crazy

Let's learn a new trick today, shall we? This is a QR Code (short for quick response code):

This week, I added a QR code to my February 2011 project life page after seeing the idea on the Project Life twitter feed a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant idea.

If I scan that code with my QR Scanner app on my iPhone (or anyone does for that matter), it will pull up the video that I made for M for Valentine's Day last year to watch immediately. You can actually try it right now from your computer...go ahead...it works!

This is great for a few reasons:
1) It adds an interactive element to your layouts that your reader can get to relatively easily. I mean, who doesn't have their phone with them all the time?
2) It allows you to actually include videos of the experience you're documenting along with the photos. It's one thing to display a photo of first steps and it's another thing entirely to show that video. You know?
3) Digital PL'ers don't use pocket pages so this can help us add extra "pieces" to the project without having a totally separate folder along with the book.
4) You can blow your husband's mind when you show him. Rather than "yea, that's great" you might get "woah, how did you do that?" Huh, ladies? I mean, this is where it's at! ha.

It doesn't have to be a big production with music and narration:
You know all of those iPhone videos of silly, normal, everyday moments? Include them.
You know that map of where you went on your vacation? Include it.
That slideshow of your extra vacation photos that you didn't have room for in your spread? Include it.
The funny viral video that you watched 853 times this week? Include it.

If you can put it on the internet, you can build a QR Code to retrieve it. Here's how:
1) copy the URL of the video, map, web address, etc. that you want to put into your page.
2) go to http://beqrious.com/qr-code-generator/ (there are a lot of places to generate codes but I really like this one...free, easy and you can generate the code in 4 different formats).
3) Choose the type of code you would like to generate and paste the url into the designated box.
4) Choose the color if you would like it to match your current page...yes, please!
5) In step 3, select jpg file format and large file size.
6) Click download.
Here's a screenshot of what the options look like.


VOILA! Now you just drag that code you just downloaded into your PL photoshop file and size it down until it fits just right just like you would a photo or element.

Want to know how to scan the codes?
You can search your app store for a qr code scanner (there are literally hundreds of them). I use the app "QRReader" by Tapmedia Ltd. It was the first one I found. You just open the app, hold your phone up to the code and it will bring up the video for you.

Boom!

21 comments:

  1. These are such a cool idea ! I've seen them on a couple PL albums now but I was stoked to see you say which generator you use... Free and simple.. Love that.

    Thanks Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great directions! I think I'm about ready to add the feature to my project life as well and the directions are super helpful and educational. I love to see women helping women to succeed in any area and this is a great forum to practice this philosophy. I always wondered what QR stood for but hadn't had time to look it up yet. Again thanks for the info and creative inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This is so awesome! I was wondering how to actually make a QR code. We are new to our phones, just finally joined the Iphone era a week or so ago! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where on the internet would you put your video to get a url? YouTube or are there other sites you can post your own videos to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's up to you. I have used Vimeo for videos longer than 10 minutes. For everything else I'll probably use YouTube. You could also use a cloud hosting spot like BOX.com.

      Delete
  5. That's the most amazing thing I've seen in quite a while! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just a little tip: create the QR codes using the shortened version of the link, using for example goo.gl. This lets you have much more control over the link. So if the viral video was taken down for some reason, or the webpage you used to store your slideshow does not exist anymore, you can always update the url to which the shortened version is linking to. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great tip. Thanks alot for sharing and the video of your two darling little girls is soooooo cute. I have twins boys (and two older girls) and I'm amazed you find the time to share all these fantastic tips!! Thanks alot. Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally doing this with a couple of videos of a concert we just went to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea! I tried it w/my Mac & iPhone and your video popped up just that quick! love it! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LINDSAY, this is absolutely GENIUS!!!! Seriously cool. I need to do something with this for my Restaurant Blog. Great idea, thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you kidding me. This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Love this...doing it now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow. what an idea!! thanks for sharing this!! seriously!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you put a QR code on your scrapbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Except- What is going to happen in the future when this might be old technology and therefore not a format used anymore??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there ...Thank you so very much for sharing these instructions. I have one question though. I am not a digital scrapbooker, in fact it's all rather beyond me :-). If I don't have Photoshop at all, how do I get a copy of the QR code to put into my album?
    Thanks so much, Janine (in New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I think you could just make the qr code at the link above and then print it out to put onto a card or a piece of cardstock to add it into your album. You wouldn't need photoshop at all for that.

      L

      Delete
  16. This is quite honestly the most brilliant idea I have seen for project life. I hope you don't mind - I was so impressed I gave you a shout out in my blog post. You encouraged me to take video of my son today and I will incorporate a QR code into the layout (when I get caught up). Thank you! Jen

    http://mcdougallphotography.blogspot.ca/2012/10/project-life-how-to-create-interactive.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. And now I see you have identical twins born in 2008? Unbelievable. So do I. My identical boys were born on Valentine's Day, 2008. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So fun! I can't wait to do this in my Project Life!! Do you have to have Photoshop to use it though?

    ReplyDelete